In a "old" post(Feb. 26, 2007), So, you want to make money on the Internet
, I wrote about looking at your Alexa Rank
. Even if it's far from perfect(more later), advertisers, ReviewMe!
type sites.... will use it with other variables to calculate your worth and pay you accordingly. At the time of the old post, my Alexa Rank was 2,7 Millions for McGrath Info Solution
and now it's 1,33 Million(i2mfan.com was 2.9M vs 1.17M now).
How did I do that
To make this possible, I:
- Submitted MIS Info Video (free) on many freeware/shareware sites thus creating many good links
- Change my signature in forums to point to both sites
- Participated in blogs that I liked
- Added a link button in MIS Info Video to go directly to the blog
- Allowed comments in my post thus increasing the community/traffic
- Added the Alexa widget showing my rank
- Using the Alexa Toolbar (Internet Explorer) and SearchStatus (Firefox)
With the last Google PageRank update(April), this blog and McGrath Info Solution
are now PR3 sites(i2mfan is PR2)
Dosh Dosh had 20 tips
on improving your Alexa rank.
Back to Alexa
One of the problem with Alexa is that unless visitors use the free Alexa Toolbar
(Internet Explorer only) or SearchStatus
(Firefox, I use it and it's not from Alexa), the visits are not counted. I added the Alexa widget to show my rank of my sites in an effort to spread the word about them. Some even say that adding the widget may improve your rank quickly. I will see if it's true(update after 1-2 week: M.I.S. was 1,84 Million before the widget and i2mfan.com was 2.4M).
Another problem is that your buddy could just refresh your site page and this will count.
So, if you like a site, please install any of these free toolbar and this will help them in return to pay for the site cost by getting an higher return from advertisers.
The widget and the Alexa site
were not in sync while writing this post. i2mfan.com was still at 2.4M on the widget but was 1.17M on the Alexa site.
Keywords: Blogging, Business, Internet, Ranking, Technology