Like many shareware and freeware authors, I build my site in HTML(simple template) and submitted MIS Info Video(free) to a few big sites like download.com and tucows.com. It's later that I figured that I was not using 2 ways that were available to me and I that did not use properly when I first started. Thus, I wasted time and left money on the table.
Add a blog
When you add a blog to your site, you can create a press releases(post) for the new version that will be published with the help of your blog's RSS feed. I'm using misfan.com to promote all that is M.I.S. related. I use Wordpress(free) but I needed Linux hosting.
One way for freeware or file(plugin, themes, ebook) authors to make money is to add Google Adsense and people will click on those ads when it's related to the content. You could also sell ads on your blog too. You should also submit your blog to blog directories to increase traffic. Some may ask for a reciprocal link to them.
Depending on you software or file, you could sell vertical products to your own by being an affiliate. You will earn money from commissions and won't have to do the support for them.
Use download sites
Most people will search for a few words in Google or other search engines and land on a download site page. From there, they can download the file or go directly to your site.
So, the more download sites your file is on, the more potential visitors or customers(shareware) will go to your site. I'm using Robosoft(not free) to make the job easier and faster. I can submit my new version to 500+ sites in my case.
Some may ask for a reciprocal link to them.
Some also give "fake" awards so that you add a reciprocal link to them. I must confess that I felt for that one. Now, I don't bother anymore adding awards because I don't know who is fake or not.
Your file may appear right away or pending for months. If you have a profitable shareware, it could be an idea to pay to go in front of the line or buy publicity to create some buzz.
Take the time to visit the download site. Often, you will receive confirmation emails with the URL of the link of your software. When using Robosoft, I often got 5-6 emails at the same time while it was adding MIS Info Video to other download sites. Don't worry, you won't get 500 emails at a time. It's you last chance to verify if it's ok.
1 Cool File for you
I started 1 Cool File so that I could add and promote both MIS Info Video(free) and my blogs.
Here is what I do:
- Most authors are honest thus I show the file right away. Unfortunately, "bad people" may force me to activate the pending option.
- If the contact email was not delivered, I delete the files and the account. I delete many such files everyday.
- I don't require a reciprocal link to 1 Cool File but you can add one if your want. ;)
- I don't give fake awards for files or blogs. It must be earn first.
- Because blogs are easy to create, I must approve each one. I also have a no "dead blog" policy. If a blog was not updated for a few months, it will be remove, permanent listing or not. The goal is to have fresh content. Bloggers can sell their blog on 1 Cool File while it has value.
- It's free to add blogs(1 year) or files.You can pay a small fee for your blog and it will show more of your RSS feed.
So, if you have a shareware or freeware or file, think about adding a blog to your site and submitting you file/blog to directories. Btw, I recently added a new category for Business Blog. So, if your investing for the long haul, add your blog(permanent) and this will give you a second way to promote it or be found by the search engines.
You might want to install the Alexa toolbar to lower you Alexa score. You may encourage your users to do so.
Keywords: 1 Cool File, Blogging, Business, Entrepreneurship, Freeware, Internet, Passion, Shareware